A team of vertebrate physiologists at the Vassar College in N.Y., have been using mating Robotic tadpoles to investigate the evolution of vertebrate.

The Robots are named ‘Tadros’ and are modeled after sea creatures called ‘Sea Squirts’. They have a computer brain, electronic eyes, motors and gelatinous tail, which can vary its length and stiffness.

The scientists have been mating the robots electronically to produce a next-generation that share the attributes of the parents.

Investigations have revealed that the tail of these robots gets stiff as their swimming performance increases, but this accounts for only 40% of the increased performance. Further investigations will reveal what are the factors that account for the remaining 60% performance.

Via: engadget